Monday, August 4, 2008

Ole Miss Scrappy?

Happy update below!



Since I last typed I:

Mostly recovered from the Tonsillectomy--although I will always be a bit traumatized.

Quit the bookstore--they wouldn't give me enough recovery time, so I kind of had to quit or just not show up. Plus, you can't work there and teach!

Have made most of the wedding plans, and had several planning "meetings" with the siblings and mom (this means we get together to eat a lot).

HANDMADE the invitations--with help from the Sisters, Trina, and even Michael! (More on this on the craftiwoo site later).

Sent out most of the invitations (my poor mother had to write the addresses out herself--no one would let my handwriting near them. Ouch).

Found out that I had THREE schools that wanted to hire me: two in Mobile and one in Mississippi. I decided to take whichever one would pay me first, thank you.

At long last the job search is over:


And the winning town is: Lucedale, Mississippi!

I actually started TEACHING Special Education high school yoots on 8/6.


They do the inclusion/resource teacher thing there, so it is VERY different from what I did in Los Angeles, but I think it's going to work out for the best! Each class is 96 minutes (!) long, so there are only three classes per teacher a day--and one 96 minute prep period (so very deluxe). My first period is 6 students with mild mental retardation/autism. Second period I go into a 10th grade English class to teach collaboratively and to help the students. Third period I get to eat lunch and prep for 96 minutes--which is really great for someone (me) who got hired the day before the students came! Fourth period I teach 13 students of average cognition but with some learning disabilities and ADD (this is most similar to what I did in LA). These kids keep me on my toes! Never a dull moment. They already started calling me "Ms. D" yesterday; I got a tiny tear since that is what the babies in LA used to call me! Sigh.

It feels great to be in the classroom after almost an entire year of unemployment and bookstore jobs!

Soon I will post photos of the interesting things I see on my very long and very rural commute to this quaintest of quaint (I mean, I sooooo LOVE it. Seriously) towns.

If anyone nearby has any couches, bookshelves, coffee tables, etc. that they don't need/want I may be very open to scavenging once we have a place to put stuff in!

-Ms. Scraps

3 comments:

Mother Earth said...

Congrats Kathy!!! That's awesome news! You know all is right in the world when Kathy Davis is TEACHING!!! I bet you're relieved the process is ovah!!

...and the invitations were FANTASTIC!! Can't wait to see the Craftiwoo update. Come to think of it, I just made a new doll.... perhaps I should update Craftiwoo, too.

Anonymous said...

W00t!1!!!1!!
We miss you @ the BAM...but yays for you! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job, and may your wedding planning be considerably less angsty than my brother's. Er, not that I claim anything to do with Sibling of the Groom. Nope. Nothing whatsoever....